Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day

Yes, today is Blog Action Day, when all bloggers are encouraged to write about environmental issues.

Bloggers Unite - Blog Action Day

You already know that I’m committed to ending poverty by supporting the Millennium Development Goals. And you know that my focus is on giving the poorest kids an education that will break the cycle of poverty in their family, community and country. That’s why I support the fantastic work being done by the School of St Jude in Arusha, Tanzania.

I am also strongly committed to environmental sustainability. So I want to support Blog Action Day by listing the various things I am doing to lower my environmental footprint.

  • I drive a Prius.
  • At home we recycle paper, plastics and metals; and we run a compost heap.
  • We eat vegetables (five serves a day!) and fish and chicken, in preference to beef, lamb and pork.
  • We think twice before buying ANYTHING.
  • We use gas instead of electricity for hot water and heating.
  • My business aims to be carbon neutral in the next twelve months.

What can you do to lower your carbon footprint? Here's a totally funky calculator where you can measure your carbon footprint and see where to start to make the biggest cuts.

I keep thinking about the possibility of introducing solar power to the School of St Jude. It would be a very sustainable alternative to the reliance on diesel generators for electricity at the school. This is one of the things that I want to explore when I visit the School – maybe next year.

Two blogs that I like for information about environmental issues are:

New Scientist Blog
and
RealClimate

So, how many Environment-related blog posts have you read today? I haven't seen as many as I thought I would. But maybe that because I'm in Australia, and the rest of the world hasn't arrived in Monday as yet.

Read a bit, do a bit. If you're not on a learning curve, you're going nowhere.

1 comment:

bathmate said...

it really very good.
I love it !
I like it !
thanks :)- .

Bathmate